Friday, June 09, 2006

Lots of running...

I ran about 4 miles last night, with our own 'Broadway Joe' Carey. He showed me some of the trails down off Space Center Blvd. It was pretty cool, with lots of short ups and downs, and a few places where you have to climb over fallen trees. Bring your mosquito repellant, and maybe a compass.

I'm looking forward to seeing Joe's progress with his low heart rate training. He seems to be a textbook example of the kind of person who would benefit most from it. I was trying to convince him to run some kind of benchmark test so that we can see how he progresses, but I don't think he wants to do it. There is a thread from letsrun.com that has been referred to a bunch of times, where the dude talks about running 2400 meters at 5 different heart rates and tracking your pace at the different heart rates. I did it for a while, and got some interesting data that you see below.


Don't you think Joe should do that too? Or something like it? So we can see his pace improve with a constant heart rate? It's only once every 6 months or so. And you can estimate LT heartrate with the point where it starts to flatten out. Don't you think he should do that?

Anyway, I know I really shouldn't be doing two runs in one day, but what can I say, my ego likes to write checks my body can't cash.

I meant to take it easy this morning, but I didn't feel too bad, and my gf was telling me I was doing okay, and she always inspires me to be a better runner, and a better man, so it wasn't much different than previous runs by the end.

Here are my stats.
1 : 9:50
2 : 9:32
3 : 9:11
4 : 9:06
5 : 8:45

Total : 5.08 miles in 47:08
Avg Pace : 9:16

Okay, I gotta go.
Keith.

4 comments:

Humble Runner said...

Does the temperature contribute as a notable variable?

Unknown said...

yeah, it makes a big difference. I tried to do them under similar conditions.

Woodlands Runner said...

I keep hearing "Highway to the Danger zone.." by Kenny Loggins when you say stuff like bouncing your check on your bod.

Anonymous said...

I must say I am envious - running with Broadway Joe and all...