Monday, May 08, 2006

Running: at what point is it a disorder?

Barbara mentioned an article she read that talked about compulsive exercising, and it raises some points for discussion. I initially had some silly things to say, condemning the 'everything in moderation' folks, and how they keep pushing their way of life down my throat. What a bunch of assholes! (just kidding, mostly) :)

But I won't joke about it anymore, it's a serious thing, and some people have real problems with anorexia or bulimia, and some people are compulsive exercisers that work-out 5+ hours a day, and eat next to nothing, to the point that they put their health at risk.

As an undergrad I did attend a few psychology classes (as I earned my psychology degree), so I'm not without opinion on this. Generally, most therapists consider 'healthy' behavior a disorder when it no longer serves their best interest, like when they begin to place their workouts ahead of their job or family and their life starts to fall apart from it. Or, of course, when it's no longer healthy, and their body fat gets too low or their body breaks down in some way.

What do you think? Feel free to address zero or more of these questions:

  • How much running is too much running?
  • Without eating too little, or exercising too much, is it a disorder to be too committed to your training, or too strictly adherent to it?
  • Do you do everything in moderation? (or as Dr. Vargo from Koala likes to say, "everything in moderation, including moderation")

    Anyway, 5.1 miles this morning.
    I sleep now.
    Keith out.
  • 5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I think what bothered me about the article was it focused on what they consider to be excessive exercising, when really the issue I felt was the combination of not taking in enough calories combined with burning a lot of calories through exercise.

    I had to go back and look; I've spend 6 hours in the past week. Obviously since I'm the one doing it, I think that's right in line with where it ought to be. But I've also had lots of veggies, bananas, salmon, crepes, turkey, ice cream, and who knows what all in the meantime.

    Personally, I think most people don't exercise enough. I think many people who exercise don't spend enough time on weight bearing exercise, myself included.

    Not that I have an opinion - LOL!

    Woodlands Runner said...

    Hmmm, despite running, I still struggle to keep the weight down. I suppose that puts me in the compulsive occasional exerciser category.

    David said...

    It's not too much running as long as it contributes to greater good; everything we do should be for the greater good-- how's that for philosophizing.

    David said...

    What does the playback of 43860206 on the handicap logo represent?

    Unknown said...

    I like all the philosophizing that's been done, thanks everyone.

    and Dave, I think that's the link to click if you're a non-sighted person and need to do the word verification.

    Keith.