Monday, October 24, 2005

References on Subluxated Cuboid Bone.

I seem to be getting a lot of hits on this page for people searching for info on subluxated cuboids! Perhaps there are hundreds of us out there suffering in silence, when everyone believes our pain is imaginary! So I'm considering this a community service, this post is for them. You are not alone! I feel your pain! I'll provide a reference here for links and everything I've learned about lateral foot pain.

Cuboid Syndrome information at MyFootShop.com!
Nice article, includes treatment, description of the anatomy and biomechanics, and procedure to pinpoint the location of calcaneal cuboid joint.

CUBOID SYNDROME
Very long and detailed article. It's worth the time and effort to understand it, as it is a bit heavy on nomenclature. Google is my friend in situations like this, you can type "define:anyword" into the google search box and it usually comes up with something good.

Subluxated Cuboid Bone
An easier read and a good overview. I think Subluxated Cuboid was the injury of the month for Instep Dance Magazine for November 2002.

Pubmed:Cuboid subluxation in ballet dancers.
Primary research article on cuboid subluxation. Only the abstract is free.

Runner has pain on lateral edge of foot.
My thread at heelspurs.com where I asked some doctors about this. They were helpfull and responded very quickly, which was cool. Basically they told me to see a doctor, but one guy did include a nice list of possible explanations for my pain.
Dr. David S. Wander said: "I know you said you're too stubborn to see a doctor, but the bottom line is you really have to see a doctor to receive an accurate diagnosis. I can make some educated attempts at your diagnosis, but without an examination I am simply guessing. Differential diagnoses can range from a slight subluxation of the Cuboid, Cuboid syndrome, a stress fracture of the Cuboid, a fracture of the base of the 5th metatarsal, a fracture of an accessory ossicle of the Cuboid, peroneal tendonitis, a partial tear of the peroneus longus or brevis tendon....etc., etc., I know you wrote "thanks for curing me over the internet", but I have a feeling that you're smarter than that and realize that a history and examination are crucial to determine the actual pathology. It is extremely important that you seek medical attention to prevent a possible long term disability if in fact you ignore a potentially significant injury. Get off the computer and get over to the doctor to make sure that you're able to keep running. Keep me filled in on the actual diagnosis. Good luck."

I did spend some time on these articles and I have 5+ years post graduate study in Biology, so if you are one of my compatriots stricken with this malady, and are having trouble with them, I can help. Just email me. And those cats at heelspurs.com are pretty good too.

Rock on.
Keith.

2 comments:

Dominic said...

Thanks for these links!

Dominic said...

A few links are dead...just wanted to let you know!