Thursday, October 06, 2005

Good news from St. George

7 runners from my club, the Clear Lake Fitness Club, ran the St. George Marathon this weekend. Some of them were interviewed for this article in the Galveston County Daily News : Club runners tackle Utah marathon.
Three of them, Rick, David, and Jackie ran fast enough to qualify for Boston, so I'm very happy for them.

I had breakfast with most of this group after our first 21 miler, and hearing them talk about this marathon made me sooo jealous. Ed had run it before and he said the whole race is incredibly beatiful. Running through the red rock mountains as the sun comes up seems like something I might just have to do someday. And it's two hours from Vegas, which seems like the perfect place for a post-marathon celebration. How much would you put on 26 Black?

There are several years worth of marathons on this list now. I also daydream about the Big Sur Marathon, and Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon, and maybe Goofy's Race and a Half. And of course, The Houston Marathon because I love Houston, and The Austin Marathon, because I like Austin too. I'm even under the impression that taking a crack at the Texas Marathon Challenge is in my not too distant future. And now there's St. George. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

While I'm listing this stuff, I have some inclinations beyond the marathon too. Namely the Big Bend Ultra Run, Sunmart 50K, and I hear nice things about the Tetons. This list oughtta keep me busy for a while.

-------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------

So I ran a bit last night and felt okay, and I ran 5 miles down on the Kemah bridge this morning, and felt pretty good, so there's some good news.

You see that, America? A week ago I was considering quitting running and getting extra extra fat and dying young and being buried in a piano box. A couple of decent runs later and I'm listing the marathons I want to do.

No comments: