Tuesday, July 18, 2006

What would you do?

After my run this morning, I found a little baby mourning dove sitting in the grass, doing nothing. He was way too young to be out of his nest, and hardly went anywhere when he tried to flap his wings. I saw what might have been his nest, but it was like 30 feet up in the tree.

I briefly considered keeping him and raising him as my own. I figured many ways in which that could work, where I could name him Keith Jr., and dress him up with a little baseball hat. And I could sign him up for various activities, and tell the organizers, "don't you treat him any different!" There was a grown mourning dove, on a nearby power line looking on, so I figured it wouldn't be quite fair.

I did move him to the bushes, where I hope he'll be a little safer. It wouldn't do for him to be sitting out in the middle of the lawn, especially considering that he was kind of hard to see, and the lawn maintainance guys were firing up their riding mowers at that very minute.

||: 5 miles. Hot. Must get up earlier. :||

Listening to: Weezer - No One Else (...when I'm away, she puts the make-up on the shelf.)

Keith.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, the stray cats need something to eat.

Tiggs said...

*gasp* VIC!!!!! you better watch out or Max will get you in your sleep...

Humble Runner said...

You're too soft. Do you have any idea how much lean protein you missed? Put that dove on my route and I'd be posting about delicious morning dove breakfast tacos.

Unknown said...

stray cats? breakfast tacos? I am horrified! If you saw him with his little wings and hardly any feathers, you'd never say it.

Anonymous said...

http://www.lol-pages.com/funny%20pics/a10.jpg

Made me thing of you... ;P

Unknown said...

You are hardly anonymous.