Tuesday, August 22, 2006

No running today. My 183 day streak is over.

I'm a little worn out, and my foot is worrying me greatly. It's the same problem that happened before the NYCM last year, and it totally ruined my day. So, no running today, and probably not tomorrow either. I'll pick back up again on my bridge on Thursday morning, and maybe I'll start a new streak. Furthurmore, I might only run 10 miles this weekend, and rejoin the scheduled mileage next weekend with 16.

I could still go run a couple miles, or even just one mile, without doing any damage, and that would satisfy the criteria for the streaking committee, but the streak was never really the point. The streak is the means to the end, not the end itself, at least that's what monkey told me (sometimes that monkey isn't too bad, another time, I asked him if I should have a burger or have a salad, and he told me to watch the damn road, which made sense at the time because I was trying to blog and drive at the same time).

And yesterday was day 183, which made it just over 6 months long.

But I don't feel like I deserve the streak anymore. Sure I've been running everyday, but the last couple of weeks, I have only followed the letter of the law, and violated the spirit behind it. I started this because the consistency of the schedule is good for me. Getting up early, running while the sun rises, fresh fruit and yogurt, some Limp Bizkit playing in the background... that was how I'd start my day. But now, I sleep in, and I struggle through my run well after the sun is up, and I have no time for relaxing, and contemplating the larger issues, like "what is my purpose in life?" "what will I do today that will get me closer to my goals?" and "who in hollywood is gay?" (colin farell) "who is a racist drunk?" (mel gibson)

Time to refocus.

Listening to: Infectious Grooves - I'm Gonna Be My King

Ketih.
Oh, that's just wonderful. I can't even spell my own name now.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the 183 days. That's quite a run. You're right to keep it all in perspective. That what is my purpose in life? deserves more of my attention as well.

Anonymous said...

I am there for you Keith! So is the monkey. I think some down time is good. It helps us the refocus and uplifts the spirit. Way to go for seeing that.

TX Runner Mom said...

Hey, 183 days is amazing in my book. Enjoy your rest!

Humble Runner said...

Keith, how was the day off? Us mortal runners rather enjoy them.

Personally, I'm glad the streak is over.... its about time you started wearing clothes!

Hey Zeus said...

Dude, that bumbs me out.

Sarah said...

Keith rocks.

Anonymous said...

Ketih, you are a better man for it. If streaks don't end or cannot be broken they merely becom obnoxious. I applaud you.

equarles said...

dang how did i miss this post? geez...
the streak was awesome. I'll never forget it.