Thursday, August 31, 2006

5.8 miles - What is there to think about for all these miles?

2 laps at Memorial this evening. Nice evening. The cooler weather allows me to sleep late and be lazy. Lazy lazy lazy.

With so many miles, there's a lot of time to think. Here's something I read recently, that I find to be somewhat inspirational. It's from that Joseph Campbell book I talked about a while back, from a chapter titled Refusal of the Call.
Often in actual life, and not infrequently in the myths and popular tales, we encounter the dull case of the call unanswered; for it is always possible to turn the ear to other interests. Refusal of the summons converts the adventure into its negative. Walled in boredom, hard work, or "culture," the subject loses the power of significant affirmative action and becomes a victim to be saved. His flowering world becomes a wasteland of dry stones and his life feels meaningless--even though, like King Minos, he may through titanic effort succeed in building an empire of renown. Whatever house he builds, it will be a house of death: a labyrinth of cyclopean walls to hide from him his Minotaur. All he can do is create new problems for himself and await the gradual approach of his disintegration.


There's that. That's been on my mind recently. Also, some lyrics from a song I was stuck on for a couple days that goes a little something like this:
There's never gonna be a moment of truth for you
While the world is watching
Ohh, all you need is the thing you've forgotten
And that's to learn to live with what you are


Although, I've decided to interpret that song a little differently than it was intended. I'm not quite ready to live with what I am, but I'll try to be satisfied with you with all your flaws. :)

Listening to: Ben Folds - Learn to Live With What You Are

I'm so introspective today! What gives?
Keith.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has a young lady recently entered your life? Are you approaching graduation day soon? Is your health okay?

Unknown said...

ooooohhhmmmmm! ooooohhhhmmmmm!

Unknown said...

I think Vic is closer.