Monday, April 17, 2006

Boston Marathon Recap

Two Kenyans win Boston, and nobody wins my antennae ball. I guess I'll roll it over to the winner of the London Marathon poll, so that winner will get a Jack-in-the-Box reindeer antennae ball that was slightly chewed on by my dog and/or a small windup car with a smiley face that I got from the Houston Marathon Expo that is kindof like that yellow car, but is a different one - it's a small police car. Alternatively, the winner could choose from some other junk I don't want.

3 Americans in the top 5, and 5 in the top 10 (in the Men's race). There seems to be significant improvement in terms of American marathoners, although, still not really on the superelite level, like Tergat et al. But, I guess, the different conditions of different marathons make it difficult to compare - different runners have different strengths. Keflezighi beat all but one in the heat and hills of Athens, but at his current level, wouldn't stand a chance on the flat 'time trial' marathons of Berlin or London.

Meb missed a PR by 2 seconds, and Brian Sell PRs by 2 minutes 27 seconds for fourth place. Sell and 3 other Hanson-Brooks athletes took 4 out of the top 15 spots with Clint Verran in 10th, Luke Humphrey in 11th, and Chad Johnson in 15th. I guess 20 milers really aren't all that necessary. :) (Of course I'm kidding, the Hanson's "regular Joe" marathon plans top out at 16 miles, but their elite guys still run all day and night for months on end.)

I'll break from the norm to talk about my own running a bit. 4 miles this morning, was a little tough, but only because I couldn't get into it. I couldn't stop thinking about how much further I had to go before I could stop. I guess I was a little tired from Sunday's 8 miler. Oh, did I mention I ran 8 miles on Sunday?, maybe I haven't blogged that yet, well I did.

My foot hurts occasionally, in the same place that ruined my NYCM, but not too badly and not while I'm running. I plan to maintain the same mileage for at least two more weeks, so I hope it behaves itself.

Keith out.

No comments: