Friday, November 11, 2005

This town has a "crazy barefoot man" vacancy.

The crazy barefoot man says, and the other crazy barefoot man agrees, that there are some benefits to being crazy and barefoot. And, to my knowledge, there isn't a crazy barefoot man in Pasadena, and possibly in all of Houston! I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

Okay, maybe I'm not cut out to be "crazy barefoot man", but I think they do have a point about our shoes disrupting our natural biomechanics. I have no proof that it is the cause of my current foot problems, but they could be a factor. I threw out a pair of shoes last spring when I thought they were hurting me.

Since all good "crazy barefoot man"s are required to enthusiastically spread the crazy barefoot word, here's my first attempt at a "crazy barefoot man" rant:
Good morning Houston, CBM here (crazy barefoot man). You've lost touch with the ground, people! The human foot was designed to land upon the forefoot whilst running, not the heel. Take off your shoes and try to run landing on your heel, CBM says you can't do it. Your shoes doth weaken thy foots!

Hmmmm, not too bad, maybe I could be "crazy barefoot man."

Actually, my plan is to cut my mileage for a while, buy some minimalist shoes, and try to ease into a forefoot striking stride. I know nobody likes to suggest changing your stride, but I think it's more like correcting my stride. It seems like I'll be taking a step backwards a little, but I guess now is as good a time as any. I think I'll get one of those ChiRunning books or maybe the Pose Method book.

Anyhow, Rock on.
CBM.

No comments: