Monday, November 28, 2005

I like greenbeens, I like milkshakes...

Hey America!

I'm glad everyone liked the Jell-O turkey. Apparently the place that sells the turkey jello mold also sells a human brain jello mold. I might have to buy that one.

It's good to be out of work today. I spent all day in seminars for our annual Texas Methodist Hospital/University of Houston Neuroscience Colloquium.

Most of it was pretty interesting, including some stem cell stuff, and the speaker didn't say this explicitly, but, from the results he had, it seems like it might be possible to grow an entire human brain inside a mouse's head. Wait, that's not stated just right, what I really mean is that it might be possible to grow an entire mouse brain out of human brain cells - yes, that's what I want to say. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be the direction he was taking his research.

But the talks weren't all closely related to my interests, so I did have time to amuse myself. I started a top ten list for biology geeks, but haven't finished it yet. Here's what I have so far:

Top ten rejected protein names:

Polymodal Ubiquitous Kinetochore Elastase (PUKE)
Focal Adhesion Ribosyl-Transferase #1 (FART-1)
Small Nuclear Oxoglutamic-Transaminase (SNOT)
Hyper-Oligomeric Ligation Enzyme (HOLE)
Alternate Superoxide Synthetase (ASS) - which can bind "HOLE" to form "ASS/HOLE Complex"


And I also came up with some new lyrics to the Meow-mix song.

I like greenbeens.
I like milkshakes.
I like lemon-greenbeen milkshakes.


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnyhow.
I've had a lazy long weekend. It seems my motivation for training is somewhat diminished. My goal race for the fall has passed, and I don't feel like I have the energy to train very hard, so I've just been taking things easy and running only a little bit. It's kind of upsetting, because it feels like I've already lost some fitness.

I ran two miles tonight. Two miles still counts. I think I just ran so that I could write in my blog.

Anyhow. Rock on.
Keith.

No comments: