Sunday, December 11, 2005

Jingle Bell Run + Running Week in Review

I ran the Jingle Bell Run this afternoon in about 46 minutes (9:12m/m). I didn't bring my watch because I wanted to try to run just by feel, but I didn't really like not having it. Plus, there wasn't anybody calling out our times at the splits so I was pretty clueless as to how fast I was going. I did hear somebody say they had run about 7:30 for the first mile, so if that's true, I may have started out a little too fast. I missed the mile markers for 3 and 4 as well, which added to my confusion.

I had to stop and walk twice in the first half so that I can use my inhaler, because as you know, geeks are required to have asthma, and it bothers me most when the air is cold. I saw Jessica twice during the race, and it was nice to have someone cheer me on. I saw Sarah too, but she was focused on taking photos and missed me. And of course there's Jon, who was running "to pace Waverly," but she had already dropped him and JoePa whe I saw them after the turnaround. And we met up with Lisa after the race, and we all got a picture together - Jon, Waverly, Cassie, Me, Lisa, Jessica, Sarah, and of course Joe Paterno.

So, this week, I ran 5 days, about 28 miles, which is the most I've run since before the NYCM. And I had absolutely no trouble with my foot either yesterday or today, so I'm pretty optimistic about my running. My races weren't PRs, but they were both pretty strong efforts. There was an article in Runner's World a few months ago that compared running to bull riding, and that dude said you should get points for your time on the course, and for the conditions surrounding your race (i.e. the ferocity of the bull), and since I don't feel like I could have run either race very much faster than I did, I pretty happy with it.

MondayTuesdayWednesdaySaturdaySundayTotal
3 miles3 miles3 miles13.8 miles5 miles27.7 miles


So, 28 miles this week, and I feel pretty good, so I'm going to try to get back into a decent training schedule, and I hope my foot problems are behind me. I STILL haven't decided on the Houston marathon situation. In some ways, I feel like a marathon would really disrupt my training, and I'd probably have to recover for a month afterwards instead of being able to train that month.

Anyway, here's my plan for this week.

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayTotal
3 miles4 miles2 miles5 miles on the bridge2 miles18 miles4 miles38 miles


That's right. Running everyday.

Rock on, Bloggers. It was great meeting you. You should come down (or up) to the Clear Lake area and we can take a run (Pasadena sucks, Clear Lake is better). Does anybody want to take on the bridge?



Keith.

5 comments:

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Glad you got your antlers:) thanks for running back with me towards Memorial again.
-Jessica

Tiggs said...

yes yes, lets run in Clear Lake :)

WalkSports.com said...

After running flat surfaces this past weekend, that bridge looks like the Verrazano-Narrows! (I did that once!)

Let's set a date!

You have no idea how tough it was to run with that cardboard cutout. Harder than what I thought!

It took me 3 3/4 miles just to figure out that if I switched hands more frequently between the cutout and the football, I could run longer without having to stop to walk.

But, hey, I had fun and gave many, many others reasons to smile at my expense!

Thanks for making the trek to The Woodlands!

Steve Bezner said...

Sure I'm game...

Bloggers v.s. "The Bridge"

May not be until after the marathon though, but let me know.

BTW, it was nice meeting you on Sat. hope to see you at future races (and blogging events)!

jen said...

That bridge scares me. Just the sight of it makes my knee twitch in fear.

Of course, this fear means I have to run it. Or shuffle up it - either way, it must be conquered.

Organize a run, and we will come. :)